Ludogorets lost to Inter in the 1/16 finals of the UEFA Europa League and dropped off the tournament. The team played a total of 16 matches, which is a record achievement for a Bulgarian team in a single European football season. Ludogorets did the same in the 2013/14 season when the team reached the 1/8 finals of the UEFA Europa League.
Let’s have a look at the club’s achievements in the European tournaments:
* Ludogorets has played a total of 90 games in the European tournaments. Only Levski and CSKA have more.
* The club has 31 wins and 31 losses.
* The three players with the most matches played as part of a Bulgarian team are from Ludogorets: Marcelinho (80 matches), Dyakov (79 matches, 78 of which as part of Ludogorets), and Moti (76 matches).
* Marcelinho is the top Ludogorets scorer in the European tournaments with 15 goals scored and 17 goal assists.
* Ludogorets holds the record for the most games played in the European tournaments in a single season: 16 matches in 2013/14 and 2019/20.
* Ludogorets is the only Bulgarian team that managed to qualify twice for the Champions League group phase – in the 2014/15 and 2016/17 seasons.
* Ludogorets is the Bulgarian team with the most European tournaments group phase qualifications (a total of six times).
* Ludogorets is the first Bulgarian team to defeat a Portuguese team as a guest (the 2:0 win against Sporting Braga in 2017).
* Ludogorets is the only Bulgarian team to defeat a Dutch team as a guest (the 2:0 win against PSV Eindhoven in 2013).
* Ludogorets is the first Bulgarian team to defeat Crvena Zvezda as a guest (the 2:0 win in 2016). Crvena Zvezda had already defeated all the other Bulgarian teams.
* Ludogorets achieved the biggest win a Bulgarian team has achieved against a Hungarian team (the 3:0 win against Ferencvaros in 2019).
* Ludogorets is the Bulgarian team with the most convincing transfer to a European tournament group phase (the team won 16 out of 18 points in the Europa League 2013/14 season.
* Ludogorets holds the record for the most wins in the European tournaments in a single season (a total of 9 in 2013/14).
* The gatekeeper Vladislav Stoyanov was able to save four penalty kicks in the European tournaments, including on performed by Christiano Ronaldo.
* Ludogorets’ games are the most dramatic compared to the other Bulgarian teams. In a total of 90 matches in the European tournaments, the team was able to score nine goals after the 85th minute and a couple more between the 90th and the 120th minute.
* Ludogorets is the Bulgarian team with the most Champions League games played (a total of 44).
* Ludogorets is the only Bulgarian team to defeat a Russian team in a European tournament match (the 5:1 win against CSKA Moscow in 2019).
*The 30 goals scored by Ludogorets the last seasons is an all-time record. No Bulgarian team has achieved this on the European scene so far.